Skip to main content

Baldwin Park Unified School District

Mobile Menu Toggle
En Español Login



Whooping Cough Information

When should my student return to school after illness?

CDC and Public Health guidelines

Fever: If the student’s temperature is 100 degrees or higher, they should stay home. They may return to school when they have been fever-free for 72 hours without the use of any medication to lower the temperature. If a student’s temperature at school is 100 degrees or higher, he/she will be sent home.

Diarrhea and/or Vomiting: Student should stay home until they are free from these symptoms for 24 hours. Students who vomit at school will be sent home.


Directivas del Departamento de Salud Pública y del Centro de Control de Enfermedades (CDC)

Fiebre: Si la temperatura del alumno es de 100 grados o más, el/ella debe quedarse en su casa. Su estudiante puede regresar a la escuela cuando haya estado sin fiebre por 72 horas sin el uso de ningún medicamento para bajar la temperatura. Si la temperatura de un estudiante en la escuela es de 100 grados o más, él / ella será enviado a su casa.

Diarrea y / o vómitos: El estudiante debe quedarse en su casa hasta que esté libre de estos síntomas por 24 horas. Los estudiantes que vomitan en la escuela serán enviados a su casa.


What vaccines do students need to begin attending public school in fall 2017?

Children must be immunized against the following nine diseases: diphtheria, hepatitis B., measles, mumps, pertussis (whooping cough), poliomyelitis (polio), rubella, tetanus and varicella (chickenpox).

Are students required to have the flu vaccine?

While a child is not required to have the flu vaccine for school entry, the Centers for Disease Control recommends that most people ages 6 months and older receive an annual flu vaccine. Each year, 50 previously well U.S. children die from influenza and its complications.

Does a student entering seventh grade only need the pertussis vaccine?

New admissions to seventh grade should meet the immunization requirements for ages 7 to 17 years. In addition, entering seventh-graders will need one dose of Tdap or DTP/DTaP given on or after the seventh birthday, and two doses of MMR or any measles-containing vaccine — both doses given on or after the first birthday.

If a child starting first grade is up to date on vaccines, do they still need a physical exam?

Yes. The law requires that a health examination be completed up to 18 months before entry into first grade or within 90 days thereafter.

What about transitional kindergarten?

Transitional kindergarten entrants need to provide documentation of required kindergarten immunizations before admission.

If a child is in the process of having their required vaccinations completed, can they still enroll in school?

Yes. Children who are not currently due for any immunizations may be admitted on the condition that they will receive still-needed doses as they become due in the future.

If a parent has a personal belief exemption on file, will their child be allowed to go to school?

Personal belief exemptions submitted before Jan. 1, 2016 will remain valid until a pupil reaches kindergarten or seventh grade. At that time, children with a valid personal belief exemption filed before 2016 will have to meet all age-appropriate immunization requirements for admission into K-12, or be enrolled in an independent study program with no classroom-based instruction or a home-based private school, unless a new medical exemption is submitted to the school.

Is there a limit to how old a personal belief exemption form is?

A completed Personal Beliefs Exemption to Required Immunizations form signed and dated within six months of entry to school fulfills documentation requirements.

If a student has had chicken pox in the past do they need to get the varicella vaccine?

If a physician provides a written statement that a child has had varicella disease, then the child can be exempted from the varicella requirement. The signed statement must be presented at school registration.

Keep in mind that we focused on questions related to public school requirements. Additional information on current law, as well as SB 277, is available form the California Department of Public Health at Shots for School.


New Immunization Requirement for Students Entering 7th - 12th Grade

Dear Parent or Guardian:

In order to meet the requirements of the new State Law AB354, your child must have a Tdap (tetanus and whooping cough) booster given after the age of 7.  Please bring your immunization card into the school office or Health Office signed and stamped by the Health Care Provider when the immunization is given. Your child will not be able to enter 7th-12th grade without proof of the requirement.

Estimado Padre o Guardián:

A fin de cumplir con los requisitos de la nueva ley del Estado AB354, su hijo/a debe recibir un refuerzo de Tdap (tétano y tos ferina) después de la edad de 7 años.  Por favor traiga la cartilla de vacunas a la oficina una vez que este sellada y firmada por su proveedor de salud cuando se le aplique la vacuna. Su hijo/a no podrá entrar al 7º- 12º grado sin la prueba de que este requisito ha sido completo.

Healthy children learn better. School nurses make it happen.

Please feel free to contact your School Nurse with any significant changes or updates to your child's health, including surgeries.

Mariel Aloise, RN (Vineland, Geddes, Kenmore, Foster) –
Sally Hassan, RN (Pleasant View, Tracy, Holland, De Anza) –
Terry Hope Richard, RN (Walnut, SVHS, NPHS, Jones) –
Veronica Perez, RN (BPHS, Heath, Olive, Santa Fe) -  
Maria Traudes, RN (Bursch, Central, Elwin, SVJHS) –
Cornerstone Program Nurses:
Laura Franco, RN -
Teresa Vaughn-Davies, RN/Lead Nurse -
Health Office 
Lucy A. Miranda, Office Clerk -
626-962-3311 ext. 4233
Health Services under the direction of:
Noreen Iwai-Ito, Senior Director of Support Services - 

Educational Materials


Insurance Outreach Programs

Community Clinics

Parent Information for Head Lice